When Yogi Bhajan was a military commander in India there was an epidemic among the troops. He ordered all of his men to fill their canteens with yogi tea and drink nothing else, not even water. His Battalion was the only unit that didn’t get sick! Yogi tea purifies the blood, lungs and circulatory system. It cleans the liver and has many more unseen benefits. It’s good to drink this tea every day.
1 Gallon Water
30 whole Green Cardamon pods
30 whole Black Peppercorns
1 inch or more of fresh Ginger, thinly sliced
5 sticks Cinnamon
1 teabag, Black Tea ( leave out if sensitive to caffeine or planning to drink at night)
*Milk and Honey/Maple syrup to taste or Almond Milk.
- Bring water to boil.
- Add all spices except black tea bag. Boil 30 -45 min. If you want to make it stronger boil longer and add more water as needed.
- At the end add black tea bag and boil another 5 min.
**The black tea is added last because it amalgamates the spices and sort of seals them. Also the tannins help assimilate the spices into the body.
- Add milk & sweetener to an individual cup as you require. This will allow you to store the raw tea in the fridge and prepare with milk and sweeteners as you like.
- If you go cup by cup, you can leave the raw tea on the stove on the lowest flame to enjoy all day.
**Milk helps to ease the shock of the spices on the stomach and intestines so drink with milk if you’re sensitive. Note: for a stronger tea you can let the spices sit and sink to the bottom.
Run a really hot bath and add
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (organic if possible)
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 tsp Ginger Powder
Soak for 25 minutes and sweat it out
Winter Kitchadi Moong Beans and Rice: 6-8 servings
2 Tbs – Ghee (clarified butter) or Coconut Oil
1 Onion chopped
1 Inch – Ginger Sliced
3/5 Cloves – Garlic Chopped
Mustard Seeds 10-20
1/2 tsp - Turmeric
1 tsp – Coriander
1/2 tsp – Cumin
1/4 tsp - Masala (optional) and or chili’s or hot sauce (optional)
2 – Bay Leaves
1 Cup – Green Mung Daal (soaked overnight)
1 Cup or 2 Cups (if you have gas)- Rice
2 Cups or 4 Cups – Water
Veggies(carrots,beets and beet greens, zucchini,celery, kale sweet potato whatever you like)
Rock salt or Sea Salt/Braggs Amino Acids add as you like.
There are a few ways to cook this recipe.
1) In dutch oven or large pot cover pre-soaked beans with water and salt, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. While the beans are cooking you can begin to heat your spices. Take a saute pan heat ghee or coconut oil, add onions & ginger saute until onions are clear. Add garlic, mustard seeds and wait until seeds pop then add next five ingredients, saute for a couple of minutes and set aside. When the beans are soft you can add onion mixture, uncooked rice (for every cup of rice add double the amount of water) water and bring back to a boil, cover and lower heat and cook for another 20 minutes until rice is done. Add chopped vegetables to your liking and cook until vegetable are Al Dente about 5-10 minutes add pepper, salt or Braggs and chili’s/hot sauce.
2) You could do the above recipe in the same manner except cook the rice separately while the beans are simmering.
3) You could cook in a pressure cooker. Take pressure cooker and heat ghee or coconut oil, add onions & ginger saute until onions until clear. Add garlic, mustard seeds and wait until seeds pop then add next five ingredients, saute for a couple of minutes then add water, beans, rice and veggies. Pressure cooker takes about 20-25 minutes.
If you want to make it a little more hearty you could also add cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt and a few tortillas. Along with a nice salad.
Yellow Healing Rice
Yogi Bhajan gave this to one of Akasha’s family members when she was diagnosed with a cervical malignant tumor and required it to be surgically removed. After surgery she was given this diet for 40 days and she has been healthy for over 25 years now.
1 Cup – Ghee
Two large Onions chopped
3 – 1 inch pieces of Ginger sliced
1/2 bulb – Garlic (Can do less if is too much for you)
1 Tbs – Crushed Red Chilies
3/4 tsp – Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbs – Salt
1 Tbs – Dried Basil
4 ground Nutmegs
1 Tbs – Turmeric
3 Cups – Parsley Chopped
1 head – Broccoli or 3 Zucchini
3 Cups – Rice
8 Cups – Water
1/2 Cups – Braggs liquid amino acids
Melt Ghee in large pot add spices and saute onions, ginger and garlic until onions are transparent then add red chilies. Add broccoli (use all the tops from a big bunch and slice the tender part of the stem) or 3 zucchini. Add rice and saute everything together for a few minutes. Add water and Braggs and bring to a boil, stir then cover and lower heat and cook until the rice is done. This makes a big pot! When ready enjoy with yogurt.
Great for inflammation due to arthritis, but a great cold weather or late night tonic.
1/4 Cup Water
3 Whole Cardamom Pods
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1 Cup Almond or Soy Milk
1 Tbs. Almond Oil
Maple Syrup or Honey to taste
- Simmer water, Cardamom Pods, and Turmeric for 7 minutes in a saucepan
- Add Almond or Soy Milk and Almond Oil and bring to high heat; bringing to boiling point (but do NOT boil.)
- Add Maple Syrup or Honey or Agave Nectar to taste.